Monthly Archives: April 2026

New Indiana laws aimed at protecting children signed following Fishers teen’s death

Rep. Victoria Garcia Wilburn
Todd Huston

Legislation designed to strengthen protections for children and teens in Indiana has been signed into law, prompted in part by the death of a Fishers teenager and the advocacy of her family.

Governor Mike Braun ceremonially signed House Enrolled Act 1303 and House Enrolled Act 1408, measures intended to improve responses to children believed to be in danger, crack down on child sexual abuse, and expand protections for minors on social media.

The laws were drafted following the death of Fishers teen Hailey Buzbee, who disappeared and was later found dead in Ohio. Her parents, Beau and Ronya Buzbee, have since advocated for stronger safeguards to protect young people.

They joined the governor, legislators and other state officials for the ceremonial bill signing.

State Rep. Victoria Garcia Wilburn, a Democrat representing Fishers, said the legislation is a step toward preventing similar tragedies.

“I am thankful that we were able to honor Hailey by getting this legislation to protect Hoosier kids across the finish line,” Garcia Wilburn said in a statement. “Law enforcement needs as many tools in the toolbox as possible to stop child predators.”

Garcia Wilburn added that conversations will continue with constituents about additional safeguards, particularly involving social media, and further steps the legislature could take to improve child safety.

Indiana House Speaker Todd Huston, a Republican from Fishers, also pointed to the impact of the Buzbee family’s advocacy.

“The Fishers community is still grieving the loss of Hailey, and her parents’ courage in speaking out to protect other young Hoosiers has been incredibly moving,” Huston said.

Huston said the new laws include enhancements to Indiana’s alert system, allowing law enforcement to respond more quickly when a child may be in danger. The legislation also establishes new social media safeguards, including requirements for parental consent for minors and expanded tools for parents to monitor their children’s online activity.

State leaders say the measures are part of a broader effort to strengthen protections for children across Indiana, with additional policy discussions expected in future legislative sessions.

WRTV sale closes; widespread newsroom cuts reported as WISH staff fills broadcasts

 

The phrase “in the public interest” has long guided federal broadcast policy, dating back to the Communications Act of 1934 that created the Federal Communications Commission and established oversight of the nation’s limited broadcast spectrum.

That standard is once again part of the discussion in Indianapolis.

The sale of ABC affiliate WRTV to Circle City Broadcasting—owner of WISH-TV—was finalized March 31. The deal, valued at $83 million, was approved earlier this year by federal regulators, allowing Circle City to own three stations in the Indianapolis market.

What followed the closing, however, has raised significant questions.

It remains unclear exactly how many employees were affected, but multiple signs point to a sweeping reduction of WRTV’s newsroom staff on the day the deal closed. Local newscasts airing the night of March 31 and the morning of April 1 on WRTV featured on-air personnel from WISH-TV, with no visible presence of WRTV’s previous news staff.

A report published late March 31 by Indianapolis Business Journal said the transition “appears to mean a major personnel shakeup at WRTV, with numerous people losing their jobs, possibly most of the newsroom.”

Public statements from WRTV journalists strongly support that assessment.

Anchor-reporter Nicole Griffin wrote, “Today was my last day at WRTV.” Meteorologist Kyle Mounce said, “The staff at WRTV was shown the door today, as new management took over.”

Those posts suggest the changes were immediate and extensive, rather than a routine restructuring.

Circle City Broadcasting has not publicly detailed the scope of the staffing changes or outlined its long-term plan for WRTV’s newsroom. The Federal Communications Commission, in approving the deal, said the combination could strengthen local broadcasting operations and improve competition in the market.

For now, the immediate impact is clear: a number of experienced broadcast journalists in Indianapolis are out of work as of April 1.

Broadcast journalism has never been an easy business. But the latest wave of ownership consolidation is reshaping local newsrooms in ways that are being felt quickly and deeply.

Whether those changes ultimately serve viewers—and meet the long-standing standard of operating “in the public interest”—is a question that is likely to be debated in the days ahead.