
The phrase “in the public interest” has long guided federal broadcast policy, dating back to the Communications Act of 1934 that created the Federal Communications Commission and established oversight of the nation’s limited broadcast spectrum.
That standard is once again part of the discussion in Indianapolis.
The sale of ABC affiliate WRTV to Circle City Broadcasting—owner of WISH-TV—was finalized March 31. The deal, valued at $83 million, was approved earlier this year by federal regulators, allowing Circle City to own three stations in the Indianapolis market.
What followed the closing, however, has raised significant questions.
It remains unclear exactly how many employees were affected, but multiple signs point to a sweeping reduction of WRTV’s newsroom staff on the day the deal closed. Local newscasts airing the night of March 31 and the morning of April 1 on WRTV featured on-air personnel from WISH-TV, with no visible presence of WRTV’s previous news staff.
A report published late March 31 by Indianapolis Business Journal said the transition “appears to mean a major personnel shakeup at WRTV, with numerous people losing their jobs, possibly most of the newsroom.”
Public statements from WRTV journalists strongly support that assessment.
Anchor-reporter Nicole Griffin wrote, “Today was my last day at WRTV.” Meteorologist Kyle Mounce said, “The staff at WRTV was shown the door today, as new management took over.”
Those posts suggest the changes were immediate and extensive, rather than a routine restructuring.
Circle City Broadcasting has not publicly detailed the scope of the staffing changes or outlined its long-term plan for WRTV’s newsroom. The Federal Communications Commission, in approving the deal, said the combination could strengthen local broadcasting operations and improve competition in the market.
For now, the immediate impact is clear: a number of experienced broadcast journalists in Indianapolis are out of work as of April 1.
Broadcast journalism has never been an easy business. But the latest wave of ownership consolidation is reshaping local newsrooms in ways that are being felt quickly and deeply.
Whether those changes ultimately serve viewers—and meet the long-standing standard of operating “in the public interest”—is a question that is likely to be debated in the days ahead.

The Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra has announced its 2026 season of Kroger Symphony on the Prairie, bringing a mix of orchestra performances and tribute concerts back to Conner Prairie this summer.
According to a news release issued Tuesday, the annual outdoor concert series will open June 26 and run through Labor Day weekend at the Conner Prairie Amphitheatre in Fishers.
The 2026 schedule includes 11 performances by the ISO and 13 tribute concerts, continuing a long-running summer tradition that draws thousands to the venue each year.
The season opens June 26-27 with “Face 2 Face: A Tribute to Billy Joel and Elton John.” One of the summer’s signature events, the Star-Spangled Symphony, is scheduled for July 2-4, featuring patriotic music and fireworks.
The orchestra’s lineup also includes themed performances tied to popular music and film, including programs featuring music from Star Wars, Harry Potter and Disney, along with concerts highlighting artists such as Earth, Wind & Fire and hits from the 1980s and the Yacht Rock era.
In addition to the orchestra-led shows, the series will feature a number of tribute acts throughout the summer, with performances dedicated to artists including Adele, The Beatles, Huey Lewis, Bob Seger and the Bee Gees.
Tickets for the 2026 season are scheduled to go on sale April 7 at 11 a.m., according to the release.
Symphony on the Prairie has been a staple of summer entertainment in central Indiana for decades, offering a casual outdoor setting where attendees can bring lawn chairs, picnic dinners and enjoy live music under the stars.
The concert series is held at Conner Prairie’s amphitheater grounds on the west side of Fishers, just north of 126th Street.
More information about the full schedule and ticket options is available through the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra.

The OneZone Business Action Committee (ZoneBAC) has endorsed Mark Hall for Hamilton County Council District 3, according to a statement released by the organization.
ZoneBAC, a group made up of members of the OneZone Chamber of Commerce, said its endorsement was based on Hall’s experience and approach to county government, particularly in the areas of budgeting, infrastructure and public safety.
“Mark Hall brings a disciplined, common-sense approach to county government, with a clear focus on public safety, infrastructure, and responsible budgeting,” said OneZone Chamber President Jack Russell in the release. “He understands that strong fundamentals are what allow businesses and communities to thrive.”
Hall currently serves on the Hamilton County Council, where he has emphasized financial oversight and long-term planning. According to the statement, his priorities include maintaining strong financial reserves, carefully reviewing county expenditures and preparing for continued population growth.
ZoneBAC cited Hall’s leadership and understanding of business-related issues as key factors in its decision. The committee said it evaluates candidates using what it describes as nonpartisan criteria, including qualifications, positions on key issues and commitment to the local business community.

Hamilton County voters have until Monday, April 6, 2026, to register if they want to cast a ballot in Indiana’s primary election, which will be held on Tuesday, May 5, 2026. Early in-person voting begins Tuesday, April 7. Hamilton County Clerk Kathy Kreag Williams said residents can check their registration status or make changes online through Indiana’s voter portal, using this link. The clerk also noted that 17-year-olds who will be 18 by the November general election are eligible to vote in the primary.
In Hamilton County, one of the highest-profile local races on the Republican ballot is the primary for sheriff. The two candidates are John Lowes, chief deputy of the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office, and Dustin Dixon, an HCSO lieutenant. Lowes was endorsed by outgoing Sheriff Dennis Quakenbush, while Dixon was endorsed by retired Indiana State Police Superintendent and former Hamilton County Sheriff Doug Carter.
The Republican primary for Hamilton County coroner has changed since the filing period closed. Brad Craig was disqualified by the Hamilton County Election Board in February, leaving incumbent Jeff Jellison unopposed for the Republican nomination.
Another race drawing attention locally is the open Indiana Senate District 31 seat. Republican Sen. Kyle Walker announced in December that he would not seek reelection, creating a crowded contest in both parties’ primaries. Senate District 31 includes Fishers, Geist and parts of Lawrence.
On the Republican side, the candidates are Juanita Albright, Tiffanie Ditlevson, Travis Hankins and Jan Keefer. Albright has served as president of the Hamilton Southeastern school board, Ditlevson is a Fishers city councilor, Hankins is a businessman, and Keefer is an attorney from Lawrence Township.
Democrats running for the Senate District 31 nomination are Andrew Dezelan, Kerry Forestal, Lasima Packett and Catherine Torzewski. Dezelan is a Fishers resident and former longtime policy director for Senate Democrats; Forestal is the Marion County sheriff; Packett is a community advocate and Army National Guard veteran; and Torzewski is a Geist-area Realtor and small business owner.
Hamilton County voters may cast early ballots at the Judicial Center and Hamilton County Fairgrounds in Noblesville beginning April 7, with additional Fishers, Carmel and Westfield satellite locations opening later in the early-voting period. Election Day polling places will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.


The OneZone Business Action Committee (ZoneBAC), affiliated with the OneZone Chamber, has endorsed Tim Griffin in his bid for Hamilton County Council District 1.
In a statement released March 30, ZoneBAC cited Griffin’s record on fiscal policy and economic development as key reasons for the endorsement.
“Tim Griffin has demonstrated a strong commitment to fiscal responsibility, thoughtful leadership, and supporting a pro-business environment in Hamilton County,” said OneZone Chamber President Jack Russell. “His experience and focus on smart investments and long-term planning make him a strong choice for Hamilton County Council.”
Griffin currently serves on the Hamilton County Council and, according to the committee, has been a consistent advocate for responsible budgeting, transparency, and strategic investment in county priorities. His work has included support for infrastructure improvements, public safety funding, and initiatives aimed at maintaining economic growth across the county.
ZoneBAC, made up of OneZone Chamber members, said it evaluates candidates using nonpartisan criteria. The committee reviews qualifications, policy positions, and a candidate’s alignment with issues important to the local business community.
In announcing the endorsement, the committee pointed to Griffin’s experience and understanding of economic issues facing Hamilton County, along with what it described as a commitment to responsible governance and continued growth.
The endorsement adds to Griffin’s support within the business community as the race for the District 1 council seat continues.



Hamilton County’s civic and business leaders gathered Monday morning as Conner Prairie officially opened its new Museum Experience Center, marking a major milestone in a $44 million privately funded expansion of the historic site.
The building, originally opened as the Welcome Center in May 1988, has been transformed into an indoor, interactive museum space that will operate year-round, six days a week.
Conner Prairie President and CEO Norman Burns described the project as years in the making and referred to it as a “BHAG,” or “Big Hairy Audacious Goal.” He said the vision was to “change the way the world views and uses museums.”
Burns also pointed to the vision of Conner Prairie’s founder, Eli Lilly, as a guiding force behind the project.
“It’s important to note that creating a building that serves our community, our schools and our guests year-round, and teaches history in ways that books cannot, has always been a goal of Conner Prairie,” Burns said. “As a matter of fact, it’s exactly what our founder, Eli Lilly, wanted. He wanted to make sure that this was a place that would teach history in ways that books just couldn’t.”
Scott Fadness also spoke at the event, reflecting on both the personal and economic impact of Conner Prairie. He noted his three sons, ages 5, 7 and 11, have frequently visited the grounds, while emphasizing the broader importance of the institution to the community.
“It’s incredibly fortunate for the City of Fishers to have a museum that sits right here in the heart of our community, investing nearly $44 million into the local economy — growing jobs, sustaining the economy — that’s incredibly helpful,” Fadness said. “Being a beacon of tourism to come here and be a part of our community.”
The Museum Experience Center is scheduled to open to the public Friday, April 3. After a brief closure, it will begin its regular six-day-a-week schedule on Tuesday, April 7.
Here are additional photos from Monday morning’s event.