HSE Schools Posts Record Early Literacy Scores

Hamilton Southeastern Schools reports a record-setting performance on Indiana’s early literacy exam, with 96% of third-grade students passing the 2025 Indiana Reading Evaluation and Determination (IREAD) assessment. The result marks a two-point increase from last year and the district’s highest passing rate in five years.

Ten of the district’s 13 elementary schools met or surpassed the state’s 95% literacy target, double the number that reached the benchmark the previous year. In total, 1,497 third graders demonstrated proficient reading skills.

District officials said the gains were seen across all student groups. English Language Learners achieved their highest passing rate in four years, Exceptional Learners improved by 14 percentage points over last year, and students qualifying for free or reduced-price meals posted their best scores in four years.

Superintendent Pat Mapes credited the district’s teachers for the achievement, citing targeted literacy strategies, expanded professional development through the National Institute for Excellence in Teaching, and participation in the Indiana Literacy Cadre. Many teachers are also pursuing an Early Literacy Endorsement.

The results follow recently released ILEARN scores that showed growth in reading comprehension, writing, and communication skills for students in grades 3–8. District leaders say the combined results reflect a strategic focus on literacy as the foundation for student success.

Indiana House Speaker Todd Huston, with his district including the eastern part of Fishers, issued a statement commending state educators for achievements statewide.  According to Speaker Huston’s office, in the most recent National Assessment of Educational Progress rankings, Indiana jumped to sixth in the nation for both fourth and eighth grade reading.

“I’m thrilled to see our students making strong, consistent progress in reading,” Speaker Huston said in a statement released Wednesday. “This significant increase helps ensure Indiana’s kids are on track for success and is exactly what we hoped to see following targeted policies and support to prioritize literacy in the classroom.” 

Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office Opens Fall Citizen’s Academy Enrollment

The Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office is now accepting applications for its Fall Citizen’s Academy, set to begin Sept. 4, 2025.

The 12-week program — 11 weeks of training followed by a graduation celebration — will meet Thursday evenings from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Sheriff’s Office campus. The academy offers residents a behind-the-scenes look at law enforcement operations in Hamilton County.

Participants will observe the training deputies receive, drive a patrol vehicle through a precision course, visit the firing range, and learn about firearms and less-lethal tools. The program also includes demonstrations from K-9 units, instruction on drone operations, and briefings on legal issues and specialized equipment.

Organizers say the academy is designed for anyone interested in public safety or curious about how the Sheriff’s Office works.

Space in the program is limited. More information and an online application are available at hamiltoncounty.in.gov/1257/Citizens-Academy-Online-Application.

New pergola and December event tent coming to Fishers Municipal Complex

Example of a pergola from The Smart Pergola

The City of Fishers is investing in its outdoor event spaces, with the Fishers Board of Public Works and Safety recently approving two projects aimed at expanding opportunities for public gatherings and events.

A new pergola, a 30-foot by 60-foot outdoor structure with a grid-like roof for shade, will be constructed on the north side of City Hall, adjacent to the Art Center. This will allow the Fishers Art Center to host events outdoors, even in rainy conditions. The pergola project is expected to cost $297,192 and will be funded through bond proceeds. Similar to the existing pergola at Parks Place on 116th Street and Municipal Drive, the new structure will provide both aesthetic appeal and practical benefits.

In a separate move to bolster event space, the city plans to install a large tent between City Hall and the Pavilion building during the month of December. The 120-foot by 90-foot tent will feature seating for approximately 450 people, along with a dance floor, stage, and catering area. It will also be climate-controlled, powered by generators, and connected to the Arts and Municipal Complex by a walkway. The December tent rental will cost $143,881 and will also be financed through bond proceeds.

 

Two Hamilton County Democrats Selected for Statewide Leadership Program

Racheal Bleicher
Erin Retif

Two Hamilton County residents have been chosen for Class 8 of Hoosier Women Forward (HWF), a leadership development program for Democratic women in Indiana.

Racheal Bleicher of Westfield and Erin Retif of Carmel are among 24 women selected statewide for the program, which provides training, resources, and networking opportunities to prepare participants for leadership roles in their communities and public service.

The 2025 class includes women from 14 counties and represents a range of ages, backgrounds, and professional experiences.

“We are incredibly proud of Racheal and Erin,” said Meredith Fox, vice chair of the Hamilton County Democratic Party and an HWF alumna. “Their selection is a reflection of their commitment to public service and their leadership in our community. Hoosier Women Forward is a powerful launching pad, and we know these women will use the experience to help build a better future for Hamilton County and Indiana.”

Founded in 2017, HWF has more than 150 alumnae, with over 70% of those who have run for public office winning their elections, according to the organization. Program graduates have gone on to serve in the Indiana Statehouse, on school boards, city councils, and other civic roles.

Bleicher and Retif join a list of Hamilton County women who have completed the program and gone on to hold elected positions or leadership roles in local and state politics.

The Attack on Public Broadcasting Is Already Being Felt

The attack on public broadcasting is already having a serious impact—and we still don’t know the full extent of the damage.

The Indiana Public Broadcasting collective, which has long staffed a team of journalists at the Statehouse, has been told their jobs will end at the close of 2025. These reporters have covered news from across the state for years, but as of 2026, their work will come to an end.

WFYI radio and television in Indianapolis also employs a number of journalists. At this point, no one knows what the future holds for them. Management has not provided specifics about potential staffing cuts but has acknowledged that sustaining the current level of service is at risk as state and federal funding disappears.

Some conservatives have argued that public broadcasting—particularly at the national level—leans too far to the left. In my experience, the journalism produced by public broadcasting, both nationally and locally, is consistently top-notch. Reporters seek out and present a wide range of perspectives, including those from the political right, when covering major issues.

Public broadcasting fills a void no commercial operation can match. WFYI’s news team often covers stories that other outlets cannot or will not. And in the realm of documentary storytelling, no commercial network, cable channel, or streaming platform comes close to matching the work of filmmakers like Ken Burns.

I have supported public broadcasting for as long as I can remember. While I can’t always respond to every fundraising appeal, I have consistently renewed my membership with WFYI.

If you live in WFYI’s coverage area, I encourage you to support their work—by becoming a member, or by giving whatever contribution you can afford.

For more on how to contribute to WFYI, use this link.

Why I Ended Blog Comments — and Why I Stand by That Decision

Many months ago, I made a controversial decision about this local news site, LarryInFishers.com. Today, I want to revisit that decision and explain in more detail why I made it.

I run LarryInFishers.com as a one-person operation. I do all the reporting, writing, editing, and publishing myself. Because of that, I’ve chosen to publish it as a blog — a format that makes it simple to post news and commentary quickly.

For most of the past 13 years, I allowed readers to post comments on stories. I rarely blocked them, and only asked for clarification in a handful of cases. My main rule was simple: if someone wanted to launch a personal attack — even on a public official — they had to use their real name.

But in recent years, the tone of online conversation in Fishers has changed. Polarization has grown, and extreme comments have become more frequent. I simply don’t have the time to review every comment closely or fact-check every claim.

Complaints began to roll in about the tone and factual accuracy of certain comments. While I welcome criticism of my reporting and my opinions — healthy debate is part of democracy — many of these comments weren’t about public policy at all. They were personal, inflammatory, or aimed at derailing constructive discussion.

After much thought and research, I made the decision to end comments on the blog. It was not easy, and it certainly wasn’t made on a whim. But it was the only way to ensure that LarryInFishers.com remained a reliable and respectful place for local news.

Discussions of my stories still happen — often on local social media pages I don’t run and can’t (and wouldn’t want to) control. I suppose I should take it as a compliment that the blog generates that much conversation. But I knew that removing comments on my site was the right call.

I will always stand behind what I write, and if an error is pointed out, I correct it as quickly as possible. My commitment is to report the news as accurately and fairly as I can.

I’m humbled by the number of readers who follow this site, and I’ve resisted moving to paid platforms like Substack because I believe LarryInFishers.com should remain free — a public service and my way of giving back to a quality community where Jane and I were fortunate to raise our daughters.

Thank you, as always, for reading.

Fishers Event Center Showcases Local Talent with Summer Rooftop Concert Series

In its first year of operation, the Fishers Event Center has gone beyond hosting big-name  concerts and touring productions — it’s also making a mark as a champion of local artists.  Summer is normally a slow period for indoor venues, but the Event Center is busy.

The venue recently wrapped up its Summer Elevation Series, a set of eight performances recorded live on the roof of the Event Center. Each video, released on the venue’s official YouTube channel, spotlights an Indiana-connected artist or band. The final performance, from indie pop-rock group Wishy, was released today.

From outlaw country to indie pop, the lineup reflected the state’s diverse music scene:

  • Alex Williams – Gritty vocals and outlaw country soul from an Indiana native.

  • Kara Cole – Haunting, emotional performances with deeply personal lyrics.

  • Taylor Bickett – Indie pop storytelling with clever, honest lyrics.

  • Jerry Barker – A mix of humor, surrealism, and rootsy bluegrass-inspired sound.

  • Indy Annies – Honky-tonk harmonies and high-energy stage presence.

  • The Wallow Hollows – Folk rock with heart and raw performance power.

  • The Brothers Footman – Genre-blending family band mixing rock, hip hop, and country.

  • Wishy – Ethereal indie pop rock with dreamlike melodies.

The Event Center has also incorporated the visual arts into its programming, commissioning local artists to create original works inspired by the venue. The pieces are on permanent display throughout the building.

While the rooftop series shines a spotlight on emerging local talent, the venue’s main stage continues to draw internationally recognized acts. Upcoming shows include World of Hans Zimmer: A New Dimension (Sept. 23), Phil Wickham: Air1 Worship Now Tour (Oct. 9), The Grace and Glory Tour with Crowder (Oct. 16), John Legend (Nov. 16), the Christmas Together Tour with Amy Grant, Cece Winans and Michael W. Smith (Dec. 4), and THIRD DAY’s 30th Anniversary Tour (April 30, 2026).

A full event schedule is available at FishersEventCenter.com.

Joel Levi Launches Challenge to House Speaker Todd Huston in 2026 Race

Joel Levi

Democrat Joel Levi, a Cicero resident and longtime community advocate, has entered the race for Indiana House District 37, setting up a 2026 contest against one of the most powerful figures in state politics — House Speaker Todd Huston.

Levi announced his candidacy this week, pledging to make public education, working families, and community values central to his campaign. He characterized the contest as a “David versus Goliath” battle, citing Huston’s political clout, deep fundraising connections, and name recognition built over years in leadership at the Statehouse.

Huston, a Republican who has represented the local area since 2012, faced no opposition in the 2024 election. As Speaker, he has been a key player in advancing legislation that Levi claims will “strip millions of dollars” from local public schools.

“Our schools are already stretched thin, and our teachers are overworked and underpaid,” Levi said. “The decisions coming out of the Statehouse are hurting our communities. It’s time for leadership that actually listens to families and puts kids first.”

Levi, a parent and advocate, says his platform will focus on fully funding public schools, increasing government transparency, expanding background checks to cover private gun sales, protecting Medicaid for nearly two million Hoosiers, defending the environment, and supporting unions to secure fair wages.

He argues that the race is about more than a single legislative seat, framing it as an opportunity to shift the political direction of Indiana after years of one-party dominance.

“Flipping this seat would be a turning point. It would send a powerful message that Hoosiers are done being ignored,” Levi said.

Levi faces a steep climb against Huston, who commands significant donor support and political influence as the top lawmaker in the House.

Levi says his campaign will be “powered by people, not special interests,” and he is calling for volunteers and small-dollar donors to fuel what he hopes will become a broad-based movement.

VP visits Indiana Statehouse

Vice President of the United States J.D. Vance visited the Indiana Statehouse Thursday, meeting with Gov. Mike Braun, legislative leaders, and other officials. While I was not present for the visit, our state is fortunate to have skilled journalists covering events in the capital, and they reported extensively on the day’s developments.

It’s no secret that the White House is eyeing congressional redistricting in Republican-led states, including Indiana, as part of a strategy to strengthen GOP prospects in the 2026 election cycle. Indiana currently has only two Democrats in its U.S. House delegation — André Carson and Frank Mrvan.

Indiana House Speaker Todd Huston, representing House District 37, which includes the eastern part of Fishers, attended the meeting with Vice President Vance, and released the following statement afterward:

“I appreciate the opportunity to meet with Vice President Vance today and share many of the successes we’re experiencing in Indiana. We’ve been proud to work alongside the Trump Administration on several issues to strengthen our state and nation. We had a meaningful discussion, heard the vice president’s perspective on a number of topics, and will continue conversations as we work to advance Indiana and deliver results for Hoosiers.”

Senate President Pro Tem Roderick Bray issued a similar statement. Neither leader offered specifics about what was discussed with the vice president, and neither made any mention of potential changes to Indiana’s congressional map.

One group keeping a close eye on the issue is Common Cause Indiana, a longtime critic of gerrymandering by both major parties. Executive Director Julia Vaughn spoke at the Statehouse during Vance’s visit, firmly opposing any mid-cycle redistricting. Indianapolis Star reporter Kayla Dwyer quoted Vaughn’s warning:

“We will take any and every step we have available to us if they attempt to draw new maps mid-cycle. We will see you in court, Gov. Braun.”

The debate in Indiana is part of a growing national battle over congressional boundaries. Texas is reportedly considering its own redistricting push, while Democratic-led states such as California and Illinois are threatening to do the same to increase their party’s representation in Congress.

With so many pressing issues facing our state and nation, one can’t help but ask: why are so many leaders devoting so much energy to seeking political advantage rather than solving problems?